Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 09 December 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Ransomware Attack Hits MSP Customers: A ransomware attack has spread from a Colorado MSP through remote access software to more than 100 dentistry practices, according to reports.
2. Ransomware Fix: LIFARS has released Cyber Vaccine to help defeat the Dridex malware strain, commonly used by the large-scale ransomware campaigns known as BitPaymer and DoppelPaymerk, the company says.
3. AWS Data Leaks – New Solution: Amazon has unveiled Access Analyzer for S3 — a new tool that could allow Amazon Web Services (AWS) customers to evaluate S3 bucket access and remediate potential issues. Ironically, the new tool surfaces just as a massive mobile bill data leak surfaces on AWS.
4. CrowdStrike Stock Lockup Expires: The post-IPO lock-up period on CrowdStrike’s stock expires today (December 9), with about 183 million of the company’s 204 million shares eligible for sale. Although the endpoint security company continues to grow rapidly, the company’s stock could face more pressure as more insiders seek to lock in gains.
5. Intellectual Property – Alleged Theft: When U.S. prosecutors charged an Apple engineer in January 2019 with stealing trade secrets for a Chinese startup, a search of his home turned up something else, they said: a classified file from the Patriot missile program that belonged to his ex-employer, Raytheon, Bloomberg reports. The discovery has added a striking national security wrinkle to an otherwise routine corporate espionage case, and the government says it merits keeping Jizhong Chen under close scrutiny, the report says.
6. Best Buy Lawsuit: Best Buy is accused of sending a customer directly to a hacker, according to a lawsuit against the retailer.
7. MSSP – New Services: Aventis Systems of Atlanta, Georgia, has launched Cortavo Managed Services Solution. The service blends hardware, software and IT support as a service.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. MSSP Conference: The PerchyCon 2020 conference, set for January in Tampa, Florida, is nearly 100 percent sold out, according to conference organizer Perch Security. The MSSP- and MSP-focused cybersecurity even ranks among ChannelE2E’s Top 50 Technology Conferences for partners in 2020.
2. MSSP Partnership: Inceptus has agreed to offer Nucleus Cyber‘s NC Protect to customers as a managed security service, and will provide permissions auditing services using the platform. NC Protect is a content and context aware system that automatically finds, classifies and secures unstructured data on-premises, in the cloud and in hybrid environments, Nucleus Cyber says. The solution protects against breaches, sensitive data misuse and unauthorized file access, the firm adds.
3. Identity and Access Management (IAM): Optimal IdM, a provider of SaaS-delivered Identity and Access Management (IAM) solutions, has released the The OptimalCloud Partner Platform. The multiple-tenant platform includes a white label capability for channel partners, systems integrators and MSSPs.
4. Privileged Access Management – AWS: Saviynt‘s Cloud Privileged Access Management (PAM) is now available in the AWS marketplace.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- Gartner Identity and Access Management (IAM) Conference (December 10-12, Las Vegas)
- CPX 360: Check Point 2020 Conference (January 27-29, New Orleans)
- PerchyCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference 2020 (March 12-14, Aurora, Colorado)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.