Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 13 February 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. FBI Arrests MSP-focused Hacker: Details are here.
2. Ransomware Attacks Miami Beach Police Department: Details are here.
3. Managed Detection and Response (MDR): IGI has released an MDR solution that marries technology with skilled human analysis to ensure complete and continuous management of the entire cybersecurity lifecycle, the Pittsford, New York-based company says.
4. MDR and Azure Security: CriticalStart, a Top 200 MSSP and provider of MDR services, now supports Microsoft Azure Sentinel, a cloud-native security information and event management (SIEM) system.
5. MDR for Public Clouds: eSentire Inc., a Top 200 MSSP and MDR provider, has announced the availability of esCLOUD. The platform extends eSentire’s MDR capabilities and threat hunting expertise for on-premises to such public clouds as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform (GCP), plus the Microsoft Office 365 SaaS suite. Support for Google G Suite, Salesforce, ServiceNow, Dropbox and Box will arrive later this year, eSentire says.
6. Funding – Digital Risk Management: CyberAngel has raised $36 million in Series B funding led by Prime Ventures with participation from Bpifrance and Open CNP. CybelAngel’s new investors include:
- Datadog Co-Founder and CEO Olivier Pomel, and Co-Founder and CTO Alexis Le-Quoc
- Tenable Co-Founder and CTO Renaud Deraison
- Black Duck Software former CEO Lou Shipley
- Neolane (acquired by Adobe) Co-Founder and former CEO Stephan Dietrich
Total funding is now $52 million to date.
7, Funding – Cyberattack Simulations: spiderSilk, a Dubai-based cybersecurity startup, has raised US$500,000 in seed funding. The round was led by a UAE-based venture capital firm Global Ventures.
8. Qualys Financial Results: Qualys, a provider of cloud-based security and compliance solutions, has disclosed Q4 results for the period ending December 31, 2019. Revenue rose 15 percent to $84.7 million. Net income was $20.7 million, up from $14.4 million in Q4 2018.
9, Talent – SIEM: Exabeam has hired 8×8 veteran Jeff Romano as chief customer success officer.
10. Identity Management: Tozny, an identity management and data privacy company that offers end-to-end encryption, has launched TozID, a secure identity management and Zero Knowledge Authentication solution.
11. Email Protection: Barracuda has expanded its local availability zones in Australia and Canada. The expansion allows customers and partners in those regions to protect data locally.
12. Application Security: WhiteHat Security, an independent subsidiary of NTT Ltd., is expanding its presence and product offerings into the Australian market.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Partnership – Zero Trust: Perimeter 81 has announced a new Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) platform that combines its Network as a Service offering with cloud security capabilities from SonicWall. The platform supports Zero Trust access for internal resources, user and branch internet security, branch interconnectivity and endpoint security, Perimeter 81 says. SonicWall invested in Perimeter 81 in November 2019.
2. Partner Program: Forescout Technologies has launched an enhanced Envision Partner Program. The initial focus involves VARs and solutions providers. The effort will expand to include alliance and global system integrators later in 2020. The Forescout reseller partner landscape spans 90+ countries and over 1,000 resellers, the company says.
3. Partnership – Smart Phone Security: McAfee and Samsung have expanded their partnership to further protect consumers’ personal data and information from online threats. Through this partnership, Samsung smartphones, including the Galaxy S Series, Galaxy S20 and Galaxy Fold, will come pre-installed with anti-malware protection powered by McAfee, the companies say.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference 2020 (March 12-14, Aurora, Colorado)
- OKTA Oktane 2020 Cybersecurity Conference (March 30-April 2, San Francisco, California)
- SANS 2020 Cybersecurity Training Conference (April 3-10, Orlando, Florida)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2020 (May 13-14, Chicago).
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar