Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 17 November 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), eXtended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe.Panettieri@CyberRiskAlliance.com.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Incident and Vulnerability Response Playbooks: The CISA has published the Federal Government Cybersecurity Incident and Vulnerability Response Playbooks. The playbooks provide federal civilian executive branch (FCEB) agencies with “operational procedures for planning and conducting cybersecurity incident and vulnerability response activities. The playbooks provide illustrated decision trees and detail each step for both incident and vulnerability response,” the CISA indicated.
2. Ransomware Attack Risk Management: How susceptible is your business to a ransomware attack? BlackKite helps customers find answers here…
3. Ransomware Attack Investigation Findings – Congress: The Committee On Oversight and Reform within the U.S. House of Representatives has released these ransomware attack investigation findings…
4. Growth – Barracuda’s MSP-focused Business: Annual recurring revenue (ARR) for Barracuda MSP’s security solutions grew 37% year-over-year as of September 30, 2021. Also, ARR for Barracuda MSP’s email security solutions grew 73% year-over-year as of September 30, 2021. Barracuda, backed by private equity firm Thoma Bravo, has been building and expanding its MSP-focused technology suite since 2015 or so. Overall revenue and profits from the effort are undisclosed.
5. Funding – Israel-based Cybersecurity: Private investment in Israeli defensive and other cyber technologies has reached $6 billion in value in 2021, triple the figure for 2020, Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said, according to Reuters.
6. Hacker Group Targets Israeli Organizations: A new politically-motivated hacker group named Moses Staff has been linked to a wave of targeted attacks targeting Israeli organizations since September 2021, according to The Hacker News.
7. Security Operations Center (SOC) Expansion: Arctic Wolf has opened its first European Security Operations Center (SOC) in Frankfurt, Germany, marking the company’s official business expansion to Germany and the DACH region, Arctic Wolf noted.
8. Compliance – CISA Mandate Addressed: Cato Managed IPS customers are protected against the relevant vulnerabilities in third-party infrastructure identified by the CISA, Cato Networks asserted. The CISA deadline was set for this week.
9. Supply Chain Risk Management: CyberGRX has introduced Predictive Risk Profiles, which allows customers to “understand how individual vendors impact their cyber risk as well as to understand how they are viewed as a third party by their own customers.”
11. Research – MSPs and Customer Security: Fully 69% of MSPs believe that security and governance are among the top three IT needs for their customers, according to AvePoint research.
12. Executive Leadership – Identity and Trust Management: SecurID, an RSA business, has hired Greg Nelson as president and chief business officer.
13. Executive Leadership – Email Security for MSPs: Mailprotector has hired Servosity and Green Cloud Technologies veteran Nathan Ardaiz as VP of sales.
14. Executive Leadership – MSSP: Cyber Defense Labs has promoted Michael Spotts to chief operating officer (COO). He previously was CTO and VP of cyber managed security services.