Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the daily business update for Wednesday, April 3, 2019.
12. Kaspersky Lab - Source Code Inspections: Kaspersky Lab is opening a Transparency Center in Madrid, which along with a transparency center opened in 2018 in Zurich, will serve as a trusted facility for the company’s partners and government stakeholders to come and check source code of the company’s products, the company says. Kaspersky has been opening the labs to counter claims by the U.S. government that the company may have hidden ties to Russia's government.
11. George Tech Data Breach: The personal data of 1.3 million current and former faculty, students, and others has been exposed in a security breach at Georgia Tech, the university has disclosed.
10. FBI Breach Disclosure Process: The FBI's breach disclosure process has multiple deficiencies, according to an independent audit by the U.S. Department of Justice report. The report contains 13 recommendations for how the FBI can improve its breach disclosure processes.
9. Research - Insider Attacks: Fully 59 percent of organizations have suffered an insider attack in the past 12 months, and 73 percent of organizations believe insider attacks have become more frequent in the past year, according to Bitglass's 2019 Insider Threat Report.
8. Research - Crypto Mining: Roughly 65 percent of organizations are not familiar with shadow mining, and only 17 percent are ‘very confident’ they can prevent crypto mining on their network, according to Exabeam survey results.
7. Launch - Secure Private Cloud Appliance: How can you combined security and hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI) in a single box? The answer may involve NocBox, a private cloud appliance that just launched a Kickstarter campaign. The appliance combines security, network, storage, compute, and virtualization in one product, the company claims. NocBox will effectively protect any network of devices, providing secured access anytime, anywhere, the company also asserts. The announcement did not mention a partner strategy.
5. M&A: Thales Group has completed its acquisition of Gemalto. The combined company, focused on digital identity and security, has 80,000 employees.
4. Free Anti-Phishing Tool: KnowBe4, which develops a security awareness training and simulated phishing platform, has announced a new, complimentary tool aimed to gauge how many employees will reply to a phishing email. The tool is called the Phishing Reply Test (PRT).
3. Bankers Embrace MSSP: The New Mexico Bankers Association (NMBA) has endorsed IP Services to provide cybersecurity and critical Information Technology (IT) system's management to NMBA member banks.
2. MSSP Spin-Off: deepwatch, an MSSP, has spun out from GuidePoint Security. The MSSP had been GuidePoint's vSOC business unit.
1. Top 100 MSSPs – 2019 Survey: The survey is now open. Participate and your company could be honored when we unveil the resulting Top 100 MSSPs list and research in September 2019.