Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. MSP Conference: The SolarWinds Empower MSP conference today (Thursday) will focus heavily on cybersecurity. Track updates here.
2. Department of Homeland Security - SOC Strategy: The Department of Homeland Security is considering shifting how it manages staffing for its 17 Security Operations Centers. The agency wants to move to a single, multiple-award contract vehicle for its SOCs, FedTech reports.
3. Botnet Hacker Pleads Guilty: Kenneth Currin Schuchman of Vancouver, Washington, has pleaded guilty to creating botnets that converted hundreds of thousands of routers, cameras, and other Internet-facing devices into money-making denial-of-service fleets that could knock out entire Web hosting companies, Ars Technica reports.
4. 5G Security Standards: The standards body in charge of 5G wireless network security is drafting new requirements for addressing recently reported vulnerabilities in the technology that impact both end user devices and operator infrastructure, Dark Reading reports. The name to know: The 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), which will specify how certain device information should be handled on the network.
5. Data Breach Costs: Global companies will face $5 trillion in breach costs, recovery fees, and damages in 2024, up from approximately $3 trillion in 2019, according to Juniper Research.
6. Hacker - WikiLeaks Investigation?: A convicted hacker who’s serving 10 years in prison for breaking into computer systems has been called to testify to a federal grand jury in Virginia, AP reports. The case may involve the investigation of WikiLeaks and its founder Julian Assange, the report says.
7. Cyber Attack Delays New York School Opening: Here are the details.
8. UK Cyber Incident Trends: Details are here.
9. Talent: Greystone has hired Matthew Hahn as senior director of security. Moreover, the IT service provider has opened a new office in West Orange, New Jersey.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Device Security: Symantec’s Endpoint Protection (SEP) product will integrate into SyncDog’s Secure.Systems platform. The deal will enable end-users to remain protected on both managed and unmanaged devices, the companies say.
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- CISA Cybersecurity Summit 2019 (September 18-20, National Harbor, Maryland)
- Exabeam Spotlight19 (September 30-October 2, San Francisco)
- EuroCACS/CSX 2019 (October 16-18, Geneva, Switzerland)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.