Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Microsoft Defender & Nation State Attacks: Microsoft Defender for Office 365 has a new feature that notifies companies when their employees are being targeted by nation-state threat actors.
2. Trend Micro: Trend Micro has launched a single security console called Trend Micro Vision One. The console features eXtended detection and response (XDR) technology at its core, the company says.
3. Corporate Data Security: Sonrai Security, a provider of identity and data governance for public cloud, has upgraded its Sonrai Dig platform to help automate prevention of data breaches in public cloud deployments.
4. Certification: High Wire Networks Inc. and its cybersecurity business unit, Overwatch Managed Security, have achieved SOC 2 Type 1 certification.
5. Talent - Cloud-Delivered Network Security: iboss has hired BlackBerry and Cylance veteran Eric Cornelius as chief product officer, and IronNet veteran Wallace Sann as senior VP of technical operations.
6. Blockchain Security: DVP (Decentralized Vulnerability Platform) has launched a crowd-testing platform that pays white hat hackers a bounty to identify blockchain project security vulnerabilities. Through this model, DVP seeks to achieve a mutually beneficial relationship for both the blockchain projects and the white hats, the company says.
7. MITRE ATT&CK Support: TrapX Security has unveiled DeceptionGrid 7.1. It features an Active Defense Scorecard (ADS), essentially allowing the system to deploy and test deceptive network assets based on MITRE ATT&CK techniques.
8. Firewall Security Issues Patched: Fortinet has patched four security flaws in its FortiWeb firewalls and web applications, SDXcentral reports.
9. Research - State of Ransomware 2021: BlackFog's findings are here.
10. Research - MITRE ATT&CK Preparation: A typical SIEM deployment has rules associated with only 16 percent of the techniques listed in the MITRE ATT&CK framework, CardinalOps research warns.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Partnership - Managed Detection and Response (MDR): Managed hosting and application services provider Liquid Web now offers the Alert Logic Threat Management System available to add onto Dedicated Servers and VMware Private Cloud, giving customers an industry-standard managed detection and response service, Liquid Web says.
2. Identity and Application Security: Authomize now integrates with the Microsoft Graph API, enabling customers to "better secure their organization's identity and application permissions. to build a secure and productive organizational authorization state," Authomize says.
3. IoT Data Security: FogHorn and IBM are collaborating to "provide an open and secured next-generation hybrid cloud platform with advanced, edge-powered artificial intelligence (AI) and closed-loop system control capabilities," the company says.
4. Integration - DNS & SOAR: Farsight Security has launched Farsight DNSDB for IBM Security SOAR, which integrates Farsight DNSDB with IBM Security SOAR (formerly Resilient). The result: Security analysts can "automatically contextualize incidents and add to their existing workflows to measurably reduce the number of unknown domain names, IP addresses, name servers, mail exchanger records and other DNS-related assets, in seconds," Farsight asserts.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Expanding From MDR to XDR (June 17, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar