Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. M&A - Microsoft Acquires Cybersecurity Company: Rumor has it Microsoft is acquiring RiskIQ.
2. MSSP Contract - Australia: CSO Group, an MSSP in Australia, won a $7 million, four-year cybersecurity contract with the NSW Department of Communities and Justice. The deal leverages security operations center (SOC() and security information and event management (SIEM) capabilities from Macquarie Telecom, IT News Australia reports.
3. Partnership - MSSP and Threat Detection: Infopercept, a global MSSP, has partnered with Wazuh -- a free, open source security monitoring solution for threat detection, integrity monitoring, incident response and compliance. With this agreement, Infopercept will be able to provide Wazuh enterprise support to its customers, the two organizations say.
4. Expansion - SIEM (Security Information and Event Management): Securonix has opened an office in Tokyo, Japan, and will be offering a local Securonix Cloud pod in the region. Securonix APAC offices now span Tokyo, Singapore and India.
6. Funding - Secure Access Service Edge (SASE): Netskope has raised $300 million at a $7.5 billion valuation. ICONIQ Growth led the round, with participation from Lightspeed Venture Partners, Accel, Sequoia Capital Global Equities, Base Partners, Sapphire Ventures, and Geodesic Capital.
7. Small Business Administration (SBA) - IT Security Issues: A watchdog report rated the Small Business Administration’s overall IT program as “not effective” in FY 2020 and said its data was at risk of being compromised at times because of lax patch management, among other issues, according to CMG Washington News Bureau.
8. Cybersecurity Policy - U.S. vs Russia: President Joe Biden has told Russian President Vladimir Putin in a phone call that he must “take action” against cybercriminals acting in his country and that the U.S. reserves the right to “defend its people and its critical infrastructure" from future attacks, The Associated Press reports.
9. Government Cyberattack: The city of Joplin, Missouri, suffered a network security incident that disabled many of the city government’s computerized and online operations, including its internet telephone service, Government Technology reports.
10. Ransomware Attacks Online Retailer: Swiss online consumer outlet Comparis has filed a criminal complaint over a ransomware attack that blocked some of its information technology systems, Reuters reports.
11. Ransomware Attacks Iran Railroad: A potential cyber attack on Iran’s state railway company created “unprecedented chaos” at stations across the country and led to cancellations and delays on hundreds of lines, Bloomberg reports.
12. International Ransomware Mitigation: Interpol will boost the role of country-specific National Central Bureaus to fight ransomware and other cyber crimes, Bank Info Security reports.
B. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Black Hat USA (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- CMMC Con 2021 (September 29, Virtual Event)
- FireEye Cyber Defense Summit (October 4-8, Hybrid – virtual and face to face)
- InfoSec World 2021 (October 25-27, Orlando, Florida)
- @Hack Cybersecurity Conference (November 28-30, Saudi Arabia)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar