Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. M&A - MDR: Private equity firm Skyview Capital has acquired Fidelis Cybersecurity, a managed detection and response (MDR) service provider that has threat detection, hunting and incident response capabilities. This is M&A and Investment Deal Number 58 that MSSP Alert and ChannelE2E have covered in 2020. See the complete M&A deal list here.
2. M&A - Rebrand: MorganFranklin Consulting, a management and technology advisory firm, has rebranded Vaco’s cybersecurity practice to MorganFranklin Consulting. Vaco acquired MorganFranklin in July 2019.
3. Funding - Data Security: Cyral, a cloud service for enabling security policies at the data layer, has raised $11 million Series A funding round led by Redpoint Ventures with participation from A.Capital, Costanoa VC, Firebolt, SV Angel and Trifecta Capital.
4. Funding: Security Compass has secured growth equity funding from FTV Capital, and named Rohit Sethi as CEO.
5. U.S. Cybersecurity: WhiteHat is offering the following application security tools to government agencies in North America at no charge: WhiteHat Sentinel Dynamic (DAST) andSentinel Source Essentials Edition (SAST).
6. MSP Ransomware Attacks - Research: Visit DarkCubed for a new research report about MSP-focused cyberattacks.
7. New Orleans Ransomware Attack Recovery Update: The details are here.
8. Cybersecurity, Malware Research: The latest Check Point security findings are here.
9. Vulnerability - Pulse Secure VPN: A vulnerability at Travelex that was exploited by hackers to disrupt the money-exchange company existed at dozens of major U.S. companies and institutions, potentially leaving them open to similar breaches, according to cybersecurity firm Bad Packets, The Wall Street Journal reports.
10. Talent - MSSP: Binary Defense has promoted Mike Hofherr to COO. He oversees sales, marketing, product and client services.
B. MSSP Partnerships and Strategic Alliances
1. Cybersecurity Education: The LSU Engineering faculty has received a $3.4 million National Science Foundation Scholarships for Service grant, which will fund 21 scholarships in cybersecurity training over a five-year period. LSU is one of only 11 new schools to receive the SFS grant in 2019. The first round of scholarships is expected to be awarded this fall.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- CPX 360: Check Point 2020 Conference (January 27-29, New Orleans)
- PerchyCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference 2020 (March 12-14, Aurora, Colorado)
- OKTA Oktane 2020 Cybersecurity Conference (March 30-April 2, San Francisco, California)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar