Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Microsoft's Managed Threat Experts on Demand: Microsoft has introduced a new service offering enterprise customers a direct line to the company's top security experts when a threat is so bad it can't be solved alone, ZDnet reports. The managed threat hunting service called Threat Experts on Demand has now reached 'general availability' and is part of the Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) service for customers with subscriptions such as Windows 10 Enterprise E5 and the Microsoft 365 bundle, ZDnet adds.
2. Talent Lawsuit - BlackBerry Cylance vs SentinelOne: BlackBerry Cylance has filed suit against SentinelOne, claiming the security company illegally hired Chris Coulter, Law360 reports. Both security software companies have growing MSSP partner ecosystems.
3. Hackers Target Washington, D.C., Surveillance Cameras: Eight days before Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration, the Secret Service received an urgent call saying hackers had seized control of most of the video surveillance cameras that keep watch over the U.S. capital, The Wall Street Journal reports.
4. Russia Hackers Target Sports Industry: Microsoft has tracked “significant” cyberattacks coming from a group it calls “Strontium” or “Fancy Bear”, targeting anti-doping authorities and global sporting organizations, Reuters reports.
5. Georgia Cyberattack: A huge cyberattack has knocked out more than 2,000 websites -- as well as the national TV station -- in the country of Georgia, BBC reports.
6. Ohio Counters Ransomware: Governor Mike DeWine signed a bill into Ohio law that establishes a volunteer “cyber reserve” of computer and IT experts who will be able to assist local governments in the face of a ransomware or cybersecurity attacks, NextGov reports.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Partnership - Cisco and Perch Security: Details are in this Cisco Systems blog.
2. Risk Mitigation: Risk Based Security (RBS) has launched the RBS Reseller Program.
3. MSP Discounts - Encryption Software: Beachhead Solutions, a provider of loud-managed PC & mobile device encryption, security, and data access control for MSPs, announced discounted pricing for all The 20 members.
4. Check Point Software Financial Results: The company mentioned a renewed focus on telco partners and a growing focus on cloud partners during a Q3 earnings call yesterday. Check Point Software's Q3 revenue was $491 million, up 4 percent year over year.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- Mimecast Cyber Resilience Summit (October 28-30, Dallas)
- Qualys Security Conference (November 18-21, Las Vegas)
- Infosecurity and ISACA North America Expo and Conference (November 20-21, New York)
- PercyhCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.