Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 9 February 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers this quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Cybersecurity Partnership: Corelight, an open network detection and response (NDR) provider, has expanded its partnership with CrowdStrike. CrowdStrike will have the ability to deploy Corelight NDR technology in customer engagements when delivering incident response, compromise assessment and network security monitoring services.
2. Quad Nations Partnership: The Quad partners of Australia, India, Japan and the United States are launching a public campaign to improve cybersecurity across their nations: the Quad Cyber Challenge. Internet users across the Indo-Pacific region and beyond are invited to join the challenge and pledge to practice safe and responsible cyber habits. (Source: The White House)
3. Product Release: Vade, a threat detection and response provider, has launched its Threat Intel & Investigation capability. The add-on for Vade’s flagship product, Vade for M365, provides the integrations, intelligence and tools for security operations centers (SOCs) and managed service providers (MSPs) to investigate and respond to email threats transiting through networks.
4. Talent Move: MorganFranklin Consulting, a finance, technology and cybersecurity advisory and management consulting firm, has promoted Matt DeFrain to managing director and Cyber & Operational Resilience (CORe) practice leader. DeFrain joined MorganFranklin in 2020 and has since been instrumental in expanding upon the firm’s expertise in cyber and operational resilience, the company said.
5. Funding Round: VulnCheck, a vulnerability intelligence company, announced a $3.2 million seed funding round led by Sorenson Ventures with participation from In-Q-Tel, Lux Capital and Aviso Ventures. The company also secured financing from angel investors, including Dave Cole, co-founder and CEO of Open Raven and former CPO at CrowdStrike and Tenable, and Oliver Friedrichs, founder and CEO at Pangea and former CEO at Phantom and Immunet. The company will use the funding to increase hiring and bolster product development.
6. Cybersecurity Research: Lumu has released its 2023 CISO Priorities Flashcard, an infographic-styled report that analyzes the top priorities for cybersecurity leaders in the year ahead. The report details how automation will play a greater role as chief information security officers seek to harness new technologies, including AI and machine learning, to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of their existing cybersecurity talent.
7. Cyware-Morado Partnership: Cyware and Morado Intelligence, a veteran-owned threat intelligence company, have announced a partnership. Morado joins a group of resellers and managed security service providers (MSSPs) in the Cyware One partner program, focused on helping customers operationalize threat intelligence and optimize their security operations.
8. CISA Retrospective Release: SynSaber, an early-stage ICS/OT cybersecurity and asset monitoring company, announced the release of Industrial Control Systems (ICS) CVE Retrospective: 3 Years of CISA Advisories, which provides insights and analysis of Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) advisories over the past three years.
9. Cyber Legislation Update: The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill that would provide funding for cybersecurity research with a focus on protecting the country’s energy infrastructure. The Energy Cybersecurity University Leadership Act — inspired by the ransomware attack on Colonial Pipeline and several other incidents — proposes grants and other forms of funding to graduate students and postdoctoral researchers focusing on cybersecurity and energy infrastructure. (Source: The Record)
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- Right of Boom 2023 (February 22-24, Grapevine, Texas)
- Women in Cybersecurity (WiCyS) 2023 (March 16-18, Denver, Colorado)
- RSA Conference 2023 (April 24-27, San Francisco)