Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 03 October 2022
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers this quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), eXtended Detection and Response (XDR), threat hunters and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to:
Thank you in advance for news tips.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Microsoft Exchange Server Zero Day Vulnerabilities: Here are the updated details…
2. Microsoft Teams and Phishing Alerts: Microsoft is working on updating Microsoft Defender for Office 365 to allow Microsoft Teams users to alert their organization’s security team of any dodgy messages they receive, Bleeping Computer reported.
3. Cybersecurity Training: Fortinet has issued more than 1 million Network Security Expert (NSE) certifications to date, the security company said.
4. MDR: Critical Insight announced a cybersecurity service for healthcare, public sector, and SMB organizations. The service allows customers to:
- Prepare for an attack with risk assessments, technical testing and training;
- detect an attack with Critical Insight’s SOC-as-a-Service watching customer networks 24x7x365; and
- respond to limit the impact of a breach when Critical Insight intervenes.
Critical Insight’s strategy leverages Crowdstrike Falcon Insight and Microsoft Defender for Endpoint solutions.
5. Network Detection and Response: LiveAction has introduced a ThreatEye update that features packet-based behavioral fingerprinting to identify behavior in encrypted traffic streams, and host-based behavioral detections. The result: Security Operations Center (SOC) analysts can “correlate sets of findings and policy violations to track the state of incidents, delivering enhanced workflow capabilities that speed threat identification and remediation,” LiveAction said.
6. Partnership – City of Buffalo and CrowdStrike: The City of Buffalo will deploy CrowdStrike’s software to help mitigate the risk of ransomware attacks. The city did not mention if an MSSP or MDR service provider is involved in the project.
7. Los Angeles Ransomware Attack: A criminal organization that recently hacked the Los Angeles public school system released some illegally obtained data over the weekend after the superintendent refused to pay a ransom, The Wall Street Journal reported.
8. Research – Incident Response: Fully 68% of incident responders surveyed stated it’s common to be assigned to respond to two or more overlapping incidents simultaneously, IBM research found.
9. Multi-Cloud Security: AlphaSOC introduced a cloud-native network traffic analysis (NTA) product that identifies compromised workloads across Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform.
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- Mandiant mWise Cybersecurity Conference (October 18-20, Washington, D.C.)
- Claroty Nexus 2022 IoT Cybersecurity Conference (October 25-26, Miami Beach, Florida)
- Okta Oktane 2022 IAM Security Conference (November 8-10, San Francisco)
- Palo Alto Networks Ingnite22 (December 12-15, Las Vegas)
- Right of Boom 2023 (February 22-24, Texas)