Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 07 June 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Condolences: Qualys announced the passing of former CEO Philippe Courtot, 76. Courtot resigned for health reasons from the cloud cybersecurity company in March 2021. Sumedh Thakar, formerly president and chief product officer, succeeded Courtot.
2. Hacktivist Campaign: Black Lotus Labs, the threat intelligence arm of Lumen Technologies, has uncovered a hacktivist campaign that leveraged misconfigured Cisco routers and switches to distribute an anti-government manifesto. More than 18,000 devices worldwide are still exposed to the potential abuse, Black Lotus Labs says.
3. Ransomware Attacks Cox Media Group: The television and radio station owner suffered a ransomware attack, according to several reports.
4. Ransomware Attacker Clues: REvil threat actors may be behind a set of PowerShell scripts developed for encryption and weaponized to exploit vulnerabilities in corporate networks, ThreatPost asserts.
5. VMware Security Warning: The CISA reiterated a call for VMware customers to patch this vulnerability.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Proofpoint Protect 2021 (June 8-9, Virtual Conference)
- Sumo Logic Modern SOC Summit 2021 (June 8-9, Virtual Conference)
- Zscaler Zenith Live 2021 (June 15-16, Virtual Conference)
- Siemplify SOCstock 2021 (June 15, Virtual Conference)
- ConnectWise IT Nation Secure 2021 (June 21-23, Orlando, Florida)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar