Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 13 July 2022
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers this quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), eXtended Detection and Response (XDR), threat hunters and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Editorial Director [email protected]. Thank you in advance for news tips.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. MSSP and Managed XDR – Secureworks CTO: Secureworks has hired Michael Aiello a chief technology officer. The high-profile hire — Aiello previously held key security posts at Google Cloud, Goldman Sachs and HUMAN Security — comes as Secureworks seeks to further accelerate its managed XDR platform — known as Taegis.
2. MDR Executive Leadership: Red Canary has hired John Ritchie as CFO. He previously held CFO roles at A Cloud Guru (acquired by Pluralsight), Splash Technology, Electronics for Imaging and Ubiquiti Networks, among others. Red Canary raised $81 million in Series C funding in 2021, and recently integrated its MDR services with SentinelOne and Palo Alto Networks.
3. Executive Leadership – Identity Verification and Authentication: Incode has hired Dean Hickman-Smith as chief revenue officer (CRO).
4. Executive Leadership – Cybersecurity Consulting: Sygnia has hired PriceWaterhouseCoopers veteran Rafael Maman as VP of operational technology (OT) security.
5. Data Protection: Infinite Blue, a provider of business continuity/disaster recovery (BC/DR) planning and response management software, launched Cenari, an enterprise resilience platform that combines aspects of BC/DR into a single, unified platform.
6 . Bandai Namco Ransomware Attack: ALPHV, also known as the BlackCat ransomware group, apparently attacked video game maker Bandai Namco, according to vx-underground.
7. IoT Security: Microsoft has launched Defender for IoT, which protects printers, scanners, fax machines, smart TVs and other devices that are typically “unmanaged.”
8. CMMC Compliance – Microsoft 365: Exostar, which serves highly regulated industries, has updated its various IT services to allow SMBs to “overcome the technology, time, and cost obstacles of preparing for and demonstrating compliance with Department of Defense (DoD) cybersecurity requirements,” the company said. The effort includes technologies and services that allow SMBs to more easily comply with the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) 2.0 certification.
9. SaaS Security: DoControl has launched OAuth governance and remediation capabilities across Google Workspace, Microsoft Office 365, GitHub, and many other systems.
10. Cyber Education: Boise State University’s Institute for Pervasive Cybersecurity will supply PlexTrac to students and participants in the Cyberdome Project. The effort will help “rural Idaho organizations in managing their security posture,” the organizations said. Boise State has a similar relationship with Open XDR provider Stellar Cyber.
11. MSP Partnership – Ransomware Mitigation: GroupSense and Provelocity have partnered to expand the reach of GroupSense’s digital risk protection services, including ransomware readiness and response and recovery, to Provelocity’s client base.
12. Partnership – Government Cloud Services: NeoSystems, will host Deltek’s Project Portfolio Management Suite and Costpoint Shop Floor Time applications, IBM’s Cognos Full Use and third-party customer applications in NeoSystems.Cloud. The cloud platform is a Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) 7012 and 7021 compliant cloud service offering.
13. Integration – SaaS Analytics: The Gigamon Hawk Deep Observability Pipeline and Gigamon ThreatINSIGHT Network Detection and Response (NDR) solution with Sumo Logic, the SaaS analytics platform. The integration can “optimize cloud performance to contain the escalating costs associated with data exchange and storage while enabling enterprise IT organizations to leverage the power of deep observability to simplify the management of hybrid cloud deployments and improve their overall security posture,” the companies said.
14. Integration – Managed XDR: ExtraHop now integrates with CrowdStrike. The integration allows users to “quarantine individual assets from a detection directly within Reveal(x) and then pivot seamlessly into an investigation workflow,” the companies said.
15. Privacy and Risk Consulting: Concentric, a private risk consultancy firm that specializes in holistic security and intelligence services, has launched Eclipse, a “digital solution providing enhanced personal cybersecurity and digital privacy,” the company said.
16. Distribution – Email Security: Arrow‘s cloud marketplace has agreed to distribute Vade‘s email security solutions.
17. Distribution – Data Centric Security: TD SYNNEX has agreed to distribute Seclore’s data security solutions.
B. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- AWS re:Inforce (July 26-27, Boston, Massachusetts)
- Black Hat USA (August 6-11, Las Vegas)
- Defcon 30 (August 11-14, Las Vegas)
- Gartner Identity and Access Management Summit 2022 (August 22-24, Las Vegas)
- Blue Team Con 2022 (August 27-28, Chicago)
- LogRhythm RhythmWorld 2022 (September 13-15, Denver, Colorado)
- Join Us: MSSP Alert Live (September 19-21, Washington, D.C.)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar