Bomgar, an identity and access management (IAM) solutions provider, has acquired endpoint privilege management firm Avecto for an undisclosed sum. The Avecto acquisition enables IT administrators and support professionals to use Bomgar's Remote Support solution to manage privileged access to desktops and workstations with minimal user interruption, according to a prepared statement.
With the Avecto acquisition, Bomgar will provide a privileged access management (PAM) solution that offers the following capabilities:
- Audit and Compliance: Record and track privilege access across IT environments.
- Credential Management and Rotation: Change privileged passwords across an organization in just minutes.
- Privileged Account Auto-Discovery: Discover and secure privileged accounts across an organization.
- Privileged Elevation and Delegation: Remove administrative privileges and whitelist trusted applications across all endpoints.
- Privileged Session Management: Manage, monitor and control privileged access sessions.
Furthermore, Bomgar customers can leverage Avecto's Defendpoint endpoint security suite to protect their privileged accounts against external and internal threats, the companies said.
Defendpoint combines privilege management and application control technology in a single agent and allows organizations to eliminate administrative rights across Windows and Mac machines and data centers and grant privileges to individual applications, tasks and scripts, Avecto noted. It also enables organizations to set rules based on trusted application types and automatically stop unauthorized applications, block malware and manage unknown applications.
Bomgar Purchases Lieberman Software
In addition to the Avecto acquisition, Bomgar in February purchased Lieberman Software, an identity and credential management software provider, for an undisclosed sum. The acquisition enables Bomgar customers to use Lieberman's Rapid Enterprise Defense (RED) identity management suite to simultaneously discover, manage and protect privileged account credentials and identify and neutralize cyberattacks.
RED provides security, configuration and identity management support to help organizations analyze and remediate compromised IT environments, Lieberman indicated. It automatically discovers privileged accounts across an organization and blocks malicious software and other unauthorized programs from executing.
Francisco Partners Buys Bomgar
Private equity firm Francisco Partners in April acquired Bomgar from Thoma Bravo for an undisclosed sum. With the acquisition, Francisco planned to partner with Bomgar to grow the business and explore new market opportunities.
Bomgar was founded in 2003 and offers PAM and Remote Support solutions to protect privileged accounts, passwords and credentials and secure remote access pathways that are commonly exploited during cyberattacks. Bomgar's solutions currently are used by more than 13,000 customers worldwide.
Additional Security Acquisitions
It's been a busy week for M&A in the cybersecurity market. Additional deals unveiled in the past 48 hours include:
- Mimecast acquired Ataata, whose security awareness training and cyber risk management platform helps organizations combat data breaches caused by employee mistakes.
- AT&T acquired AlienVault, pushing the telecom giant deeper into the cybersecurity market for small, midsize and enterprise customers.
- Thoma Bravo acquired Centrify, the identity and access management specialist.
- SolarWinds acquired Trusted Metrics, a provider of real-time threat monitoring and management software, and security operations center (SOC) technology.