Fortinet has debuted its FortiSP5 application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) technology as a tool to "deliver significant secure computing power advantages over traditional CPU and network ASICs," according to a prepared statement.
ASICs are circuits designed for specific tasks or applications, according to processor IP company Arm. They are commonly used in mobile phones and other consumer devices to make them more efficient or perform specialized functions.
FortiSP5 consists of a fifth-generation, 7-nm chip with an application-specific design and embedded multi-core processors that "accelerate the convergence of networking and security functions," Fortinet said. It provides 17x faster firewall performance compared to standard CPUs, 3.5x faster next-generation firewall (NGFW) performance compared to standard CPUs and 32x faster encryption to protect data and secure virtual private networks.
In addition, FortiSP5 offers 88% less power consumption compared to the industry-standard CPUs.
How Organizations Can Use FortiSP5
FortiSP5 supports several use cases, such as:
- Branch/Campus ensures branch offices and campuses can leverage SD-WAN so their employees can securely access applications from any location and capitalize on cloud technologies and a hybrid work model.
- Edge Compute supports high-speed networks and security threat protection for commercial and operational technology (OT) environments.
- 5G helps organizations make the transition to 5G networks.
Fortinet plans to integrate FortiSP5 into its next generation of entry and mid-range FortiGate firewalls, which will be released later this year.
Fortinet Introduces SOC Augmentation Services
The FortiSP5 announcement comes after Fortinet in January 2023 announced several security operations center (SOC) augmentation services, including:
- SOC-as-a-Service (SOCaaS)
- Outbreak Detection Service
- Incident Response and Readiness Services
Fortinet provides networking and security solutions to over 500,000 customers globally. It offers a partner program that enables MSSPs, MSPs and other technology providers to integrate these solutions into their portfolios. Fortinet also delivers cybersecurity training and intends to train one million people in cybersecurity by 2026.