Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Monday, October 16, 2017:
10. Energy Grid Security: Infotecs Americas and Secure Commerce Systems (SCS) have inked a partnership to deliver turnkey cybersecurity projects to the energy sector. Under terms of the deal, SCS will resell and service Infotecs’ cybersecurity and encryption solutions. The companies will present their joint capabilities from November 6th to the 8th at the American Petroleum Institute’s 12th Annual Cybersecurity Conference for the Oil & Gas Industry.
9. DDoS Attacks: A series of distributed of denial of service (DDoS) attacks aimed at Sweden's transportation services caused train delays and disrupted various travel service last week, SC Magazine reported.
8. Student Hacks University: A recent cybersecurity breach has a University of Kansas faculty group concerned that the breach could lead to other attacks, not just at the university, but across higher education, according to The Associated Press. A disgruntled engineering student apparently launched the hack during the 2016-17 academic year -- but the results could involve ID theft that are felt now and in the future...
7. WannaCry Blame Game: Microsoft is blaming North Korea for the WannaCry ransomware outbreak, which attacked hospitals earlier this year...
6. Restaurant Hack: If you placed a web or mobile app order with Pizza Hut on October 1-2, your personal information may have been exposed, according to the fast food chain. The “temporary security intrusion” likely included names, billing ZIP codes, delivery addresses, email addresses and payment card information — meaning account number, expiration date and CVV number — according to The Miami Herald.
5. Hyatt Hack: Yes, the hotel has been breached -- again.
4. Another AWS Data Leak: Patient Home Monitoring Corp. apparently leaked data via Amazon Web Services, according to a Mac Keeper blog post.
3. Talent Gap: Two-thirds of Pennsylvania school districts and municipalities lack a cybersecurity professional on staff, according to a recent survey. Sounds like cyber pros at the other one-third of organizations are well-positioned for pay raises...
2. Workday Security: OneLogin, the identity management provider bringing speed and integrity to the modern enterprise, today announced the immediate availability of Real-Time Offboarding for Workday. This new cloud service enables HR teams to instantly revoke user access to company applications, laptops, and WiFi networks, preventing recently departed employees from stealing company data.
1. Security Operations Center (SOC) for VARs: CyFlare has launched a security operations center (SOC) for VARs to plug into. We'll share more details later today.