Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Here’s the daily business update for Tuesday, June 25, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Ransomware - MSP Pays Hackers: An MSP bowed to hacker demands and paid more than $150,000 to recover data after a ransomware attack.
2. Major Telecom Hacks: Hackers have broken into more than a dozen global telecom companies and cellular service providers, stealing a range of private information, according to Cybereason research findings.
3. Amazon Cybersecurity Conference: The AWS re:Inforce 2019 conference has triggered numerous cloud security announcements. Track all the updates here.
4. AWS Control Tower: Amazon has launched AWS Control Tower, a multi-account management tool. Several major MSPs and IT consulting firms have embraced the platform. AWS Control Tower includes built-in security and compliance settings to help partners and customers accelerate cloud deployments.
5. Funding - Behavioral Analytics: TrueFort, an application behavior security analytics company, has raised $13.7 million in Series A funding, which will be used to expand its business of protecting organizations from breaches, Dark Reading reports.
6. Security Operations Center (SOC): British Telecommunications (BT), a Top 100 MSSP, has opened a new cybersecurity operations centre (Cyber SOC) in Paris and fleshed out its existing SOCs in Madrid and Frankfurt, DataCentreNews reports.
7. Talent - Boardroom: HP Enterprise has named CrowdStrike CEO George Kurtz to its board of directors. The move is intriguing for two reasons. First, Kurtz can educate HPE about all things security. Second, Kurtz and CrowdStrike have deep experience with recurring revenue business models -- especially as they pertain to MSP and MSSP partners. For its part, HPE has vowed to offer its entire product line as a service by 2020.
8. Risk Management & Security Monitoring: Lockpath is set to release Blacklight 2.0 on June 30, the company says. The update brings new file integrity monitoring (FIM) capabilities to Lockpath's continuous security monitoring platform.
9. Anomaly Detection: LogicMonitor, has introduced anomaly detection capabilities to the company's SaaS-based performance monitoring platform for enterprise IT and service provider.
10. Research - Cloud Security Part One: How are organizations managing cybersecurity amid cloud migrations? The new CyberArk Global Advanced Threat Landscape Report 2019: Focus on Cloud offers some clues.
11. Research - Cloud Security Part Two: More than half of enterprises believe security can't keep up with cloud adoption, Symantec research suggests.
12. Research - Cyber Insurance: Annual gross written premiums are set to grow from around $2.5 billion today to reach $7.5 billion by the end of the decade, PwC estimates.
13. Intellectual Property: ThreatModeler, provider of an automated threat modeling platform, has received a technology patent for a drag-and-drop interface that allows users to dynamically test the strength of their security controls.
14. Identity and Access Management: Ping Identity's PingOne platform can now deliver "seamless and secure push notifications from custom mobile applications that can be used for passwordless and advanced multi-factor authentication," the company says. The move allows customers and partners to more easily embed secure identity services—login, registration, multi-factor authentication and other capabilities -- into applications, the company asserts.
15. Growth - Cloud Container Security: DivvyCloud, a provider of security and compliance automation for cloud and container environments has achieved 230 percent year-over-year (YoY) revenue growth and 100 percent growth in its customer base -- though actual financial figures were not disclosed. The company recently raised $19 million in new funding.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. MDR and Log Management:Arctic Wolf Networks has expanded its Managed Detection and Response (MDR) service to support Log Search. The feature enables MSSPs and customers to directly search their log information stored within the Arctic Wolf SOC-as-a-service platform.
2. Threat Hunting, Breach Detection: Stellar Cyber has announced Starlight 3.1, a Unified Security Analytics Platform that leverages artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) for automated threat hunting and advanced breach detection. The company also claims to be gaining momentum with MSSPs, VARs and mid- to large-sized companies. Stellar Cyber now serves more than 100 customers worldwide.
3. PCI Compliance: PCI Pal, a secure payments provider to contact centers, has launched a new global partner program to reinforce the company's ‘partner first’ channel approach.
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- AWS re:inforce Cloud Cybersecurity Conference 2019 (June 25-26, Boston, Massachusetts)
- MSSP Accelerator: Sales and Marketing Summit (July 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- Cyber:Secured Forum 2019 (July 29-31, Austin, Texas)
- Black Hat USA 2019 (August 3-9, Las Vegas)
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.