Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference: It's set for March 12-14 in Aurora, Colorado. WiCys since 2014 has awarded 2,250 student scholarships and 272 faculty lodging grants though sponsorship funding.
2. M&A - Attack Surface Expertise: Bishop Fox, a professional services firm focused on offensive security testing, has acquired key assets of SoNeMo, a Spain-based startup focused on advanced attack-surface discovery and analysis. Borja Berastegui, the founder of SoNeMo, has joined Bishop Fox as part of the firm's global managed security services (MSS) team.
3. Spin-Out: Cyxtera plans to separate its cybersecurity business from the rest of its operations, largely undoing a massive rollup that took place in 2017, CRN reports.
4. Private Equity - Cyber Training: Immersive Labs, which develops an interactive, on-demand and gamified cyber skills platform, has raised $40 million in funding led by Summit Partners, with participation from existing investor Goldman Sachs.
5. Funding & Talent - Rogue Device Mitigation: Sepio Systems has raised $6.5 million in Series A funding led by Hanaco Ventures and Merlin Ventures. Also, Sepio hired Gili Sahar as CFO and Chen Ben Eliyahu as VP of business development. Sepio detects and mitigates hardware-based attacks, rogue peripherals, invisible network devices, and manipulated firmware, the company asserts.
6. Talent - Email and Data Security: Mimecast has hired Symantec veteran Heather Bentley as senior VP of customer success; and Optiv veteran Susan Vaillancourt as VP of brand strategy. Also, Alpna J. Doshi joins the board of directors.
7. Research - Phishing Attacks: The latest findings are here from Vade Secure.
8. Ransomware Attack Hits School: A ransomware attack hit a Mississippi school district earlier this week.
9. Ring Doorbell Vulnerability Details: Or why I have an analog home.
10. Seven New Malware Strains: This alert describes them.
11. Cyber Risk Scorecard: The FICO Cyber Risk Score application is now available on AWS Marketplace.
12. Risk Assessments & Vulnerability Management: Tenable has released its new Assessment Maturity Score. The offering provides partners and customers with vulnerability metrics. On a related note, Tenable is the first vulnerability management vendor to uncover more than 100 zero-days in a single year, the company says.
13. Free Risk Assessments: Coalition, a cyber insurance company for small and midsize businesses, has launched a free, publicly available cybersecurity and risk assessment tool. The tool assesses the expected probability and severity of a security incident for a company, Coalition says.
14. Network Segmentation: Forescout Technologies has launched Forescout eyeSegment. The cloud-based platform will help organizations accelerate network segmentation projects, driven by the need to secure applications, mitigate IoT-related exposures , and limit the lateral movement of threats across flat networks, Forescout asserts.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
2. SMB Security - Lenovo Partnership: SparkCognition's AI endpoint protection product (EPP), called DeepArmor, is set to launch globally for Lenovo's SMB customers, starting in North America. The offering is available through Lenovo Vantage for SMB.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- Qualys Security Conference (November 18-21, Las Vegas)
- Infosecurity and ISACA North America Expo and Conference (November 20-21, New York)
- PercyhCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.