Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Cyber Insurance Risk Framework: New York Department of Financial Services (DFS) has issued this DFS letter to authorized property and casualty insurers in a renewed effort to address increasing cyber risk for all organizations, JD Supra notes.
2. Cybersecurity Training - Simulated Supply Chain Attacks: Cloud Range has developed and released a new attack scenario for its virtual cyber range that mimics the recent supply side compromise attack, allowing security teams to practice on the latest global threat in a safe environment, the company says.
3. Microsoft Teams Security: Nucleus Cyber, an archTIS Limited company (ASX:AR9), has updated its NC Protect software to simplify Microsoft Teams security, the company says. NC Protect allows Teams users to prevent accidental sharing, data loss and misuse, as well as enable secure guest access and sharing, Nucleus Cyber asserts.
4. Cyber Attack Targets Water Supply: A hacker gained unauthorized entry to the system controlling the water treatment plant of a Florida city of 15,000 and tried to taint the water supply with a caustic chemical, the Associated Press reports. An alert IT worker at the Oldsmar, Florida, municipality spotted the attack and disabled the hacker's apparent remote access to the water utility's network.
5. Cyber Attack Deja Vu: More than 100 banks, exchanges, insurers and other financial firms were targets of the same type of cyberattack that crippled the New Zealand Stock Exchange in August 2020, though the various attack victims didn't suffer the same extent of damage, Bloomberg reports.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Channel Momentum - Privileged Access Management (PAM): Thycotic's worldwide channel sales grew 28 percent in 2020 vs. 2019, the PAM software provider says. Moreover, Thycotic saw a 17 percent increase in partner deal registrations. The channel momentum statement surfaces amid rumors that private equity firm Insight Partners is preparing to sell Thycotic.
2. Partnership - Driverless Cars: BlackBerry's QNX Black Channel Communications Technology will be used in Motional's next-generation driverless vehicles. The technology enables Motional to provide safe data communication exchanges within the vehicle's safety systems, the companies say. Motional will be BlackBerry's first customer to use QNX Black Channel Communications for driverless systems, BlackBerry adds.
3. Partnership and Launch - Maritime Cybersecurity: UK-based international law firm Ince and Mission Secure have partnered to launch InceMaritime. The new organization will offer cybersecurity, business continuity and compliance services that protect on-shore and on-vessel OT (operational technology) networks.
4. Partnership - Network Detection and Response (NDR): Endace and Corelight are partnering to provide "security teams with rich insights and detailed forensic data that accelerate the process of detecting, analyzing and responding to network security threats," the two companies say.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Expanding From MDR to XDR (June 17, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar