Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. M&A - IoT and Linux Security: Wind River has acquired Star Lab, a provider of cybersecurity for embedded systems. This is M&A Deal Number 54 in 2020 that MSSP Alert and ChannelE2E have tracked. Wind River gains a system protection and anti-tamper toolset for Linux, an open source-based hypervisor, and a secure boot solution. Star Lab is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Wind River. Financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
2. Funding - Incident Response: Tetra Defense, a cyber incident response company in Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, has raised $3 million in Series A funding. The round was led by Mendota Venture Capital with participation from several investors.
3. Growth - IPO Plans: Network detection and response (NDR) specialist ExtraHop grew 40 percent in 2019, and exceeded $150 million in bookings. The company is on pace to exceed $100 million annual recurring revenue, and pursuing an IPO in 2021, according to a statement from the firm.
4. iPhone Hacking and Encryption: Digital forensics firm Cellebrite released a new tool that could be used to access data on the iPhones at the heart of the latest spat between Apple and the FBI, Bloomberg reports.
5. Data Leak - UK Consultants: A massive data leak has exposed highly sensitive files from numerous British consulting firms, vpnMentor asserts.
6. Research - Incident Response: The CrowdStrike Services Cyber Front Lines Report, released yesterday, provides takeaways from the front lines of incident response (IR) cases spanning 2019 and shares insights that matter for 2020 and beyond, the company asserts.
7. Network Security: Check Point Software has announced Fast Track Network Security, a new suite of solutions that feature five new Check Point Quantum Security Gateways for branch office to mid-size enterprises, and one gateway designed for Maestro Hyperscale orchestrations for large enterprises and data centers. All the gateways feature Check Point ThreatCloud and its SandBlast Zero-Day Protection. Related Conference: Check Point CPX 360 2020, the company's annual cybersecurity conference, is scheduled for later this month in New Orleans.
8. Threat Intelligence: Neustar has released UltraThreat Feeds, a new service that provides enterprise customers with access to real-time threat data to help them better identify cyber threats as they evolve.
9. Talent - Attack Simulations: AttackIQ has promoted Stacey Meyer to vice president of federal operations.
B. MSSP Partners and Strategic Alliances
1. Partnership - MDR and Endpoint Security: CriticalStart, a managed detection and response (MDR) provider, has partnered with SentinelOne to provide endpoint, cloud, and IoT protection security solutions.
3. Certification: Information Shield has unveiled the Information Shield Cyber Certification, a new program that "dramatically reduces the time and cost of validating cybersecurity readiness to management and third parties across the information supply chain," the company asserts.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- CPX 360: Check Point 2020 Conference (January 27-29, New Orleans)
- PerchyCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference 2020 (March 12-14, Aurora, Colorado)
- OKTA Oktane 2020 Cybersecurity Conference (March 30-April 2, San Francisco, California)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar