Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 03 August 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers this quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), eXtended Detection and Response (XDR), threat hunters and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to:
- Managing Editor [email protected]; and
- Executive VP and Editorial Director [email protected].
Thank you in advance for news tips.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. M&A – Ping Identity Acquired: Private equity firm Thoma Bravo is acquiring Ping Identity for $2.8 billion.
2. M&A – Security Software: NortonLifeLock’s $8.6 billion purchase of rival Avast won provisional clearance from Britain, overcoming the final hurdle to creating a consumer security software giant and sending Avast shares to an all-time high, Reuters noted.
3. Venture Capital Concerns: Softbank’s Vision Fund 2 could face losses that are “as severe as those of high-tech growth stocks,” The Wall Street Journal reported. The fund is leveraged and most of its investments are still private. Vision Fund 2 investments include Cybereason, OneTrust and Pax8, among dozens of other firms.
4. Partner Program – Data Security: Nullafi has launched a partner program for resellers and MSSPs.
5. Partnership – Patch Management: Ivanti and SentinelOne are partnering to help improve patch management and to deliver “autonomous vulnerability assessment, prioritization, and remediation,” the two companies said.
6. Microsoft Security Solutions: Microsoft has unveiled Microsoft Defender Threat Intelligence to help operations teams “uncover attacker infrastructure and accelerate investigation and remediation with more context, insights, and analysis than ever before.” Also, the new Microsoft Defender External Attack Surface Management to help organizations “discover unknown and unmanaged resources that are visible and accessible from the internet—essentially the same view an attacker has when selecting a target.”
7. Mid-Year Cyberattack Trends: Check Point Software’s latest report is here.
8. Multi-Cloud Network Security: Valtix announced a Summer release that features a new decryption and packet capture capability “designed to enable incident responders to gain much richer cloud security visibility than ever before,” the company said. The release includes improved deployment options for MSSPs, Valtix asserted.
9. Simplified Secure Access: Cisco Systems has announced Cisco Secure Client (formerly AnyConnect) — a new version of a unified security agent for Cisco Secure. Among the key benefits: Partners and customers can leverage Endpoint Detection & Response (EDR) from within Secure Client. In other words, you no longer need to deploy and manage Secure Client and Secure Endpoint as separate agents, the company said.
10. IT Inventory Platform: Sevco Security has enhanced its platform including “new capabilities for user inventory, network mapping and workflow integrations.”
11. Supply Chain Security: Strider Technologies has launched its new Supply Chain Intelligence solution to “enable organizations to screen suppliers at scale for geopolitical and compliance risk,” the company said.
13. Data Protection Guarantee: Druva introduced a data resiliency guarantee that provides up to $10 million in coverage and guarantees the security, immutability and availability of customers’ data.
14. Data Protection – Executive Leadership: Cohesity has hired VMware and SAP veteran Sanjay Poonen as CEO and president. He succeeds Mohit Aron, who shifts to chief technology and product officer.
B. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Black Hat USA (August 6-11, Las Vegas)
- Defcon 30 (August 11-14, Las Vegas)
- Gartner Identity and Access Management Summit 2022 (August 22-24, Las Vegas)
- Blue Team Con 2022 (August 27-28, Chicago)
- LogRhythm RhythmWorld 2022 (September 13-15, Denver, Colorado)
- Join Us: MSSP Alert Live (September 19-21, Washington, D.C.)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar