Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 18 January 2022
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), eXtended Detection and Response (XDR), threat hunters and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe.Panettieri@CyberRiskAlliance.com.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Alibaba Cloud Security?: The Biden administration is reviewing Alibaba’s cloud business to determine whether the China-based cloud provider poses a risk to U.S. national security, Reuters reported.
2. Funding – Zero Trust Network Access: Banyan Security has raised $30 million in Series B funding led by Third Point Ventures. Additional new investors include SIG and Alter Venture Partners and current investors Shasta Ventures and Unusual Ventures also participated in this round. The latest round brings the total investment in the company to $47 million, Banyan Security Said.
3. Security Operations – EMEA: Arctic Wolf continues to expand its European security operations platform business ahead of a potential Initial Public Offering.
5. Log4j Advisory: Ivanti updated its Log4j Advisory with security updates for multiple products to address CVE-2021-44228. An unauthenticated attacker could exploit this vulnerability to take control of an affected system, the CISA warned on January 14, 2022.
6. Cyberattacks Target VMware Horizon Servers: Huntress shares details and analysis here.
7. Phishing Attacks Research: DHL’s brand was related to 23 percent of all phishing attacks in Q4 of 2021 — replacing Microsoft (20 percent) as the top brand that hackers seek to emulate, according to Check Point phishing research.