Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 26 July 2022
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers this quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), eXtended Detection and Response (XDR), threat hunters and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to:
Thank you in advance for news tips.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. AWS Cloud Security and MSSPs: Track our live blog from the AWS re:Inforce 2022 conference here.
2. Research – Ransomware Attack Demands: Finance and real estate were among the industries that received the highest average ransom demands, with an average demand of nearly $8 million and $5.2 million, respectively, according to research from Palo Alto Networks’ Unit 42 group.
3. Research – Phishing Attack Rates: Phishing soared 61% in the past year to more than 1 million attacks and continues to pose a significant threat to most Internet users, according to an annual study from Interisle Consulting Group.
4. Research – Phishing Email Subject Lines: Half of the phishing emails that people generally click on had subject lines related to Human Resources, including vacation policy updates, dress code changes, and upcoming performance reviews, according to KnowBe4 research.
6. Partnership: Booz Allen Hamilton has partnered with Acalvio Technologies to help organizations detect, investigate, and respond to malicious activity in information technology (IT) and operational technology (OT) environments across on-premises and cloud deployments.
7. Talent – Government Cybersecurity: The White House has hired Google veteran Steward Gloster to as director for technology and ecosystem security within the Office of the National Cyber Director.
8. Talent: Cerby has named Gabriela (Gaby) Arroyo as head of customer success.
9. Talent: One Identity has named Mark Logan as CEO.
10. Funding – Open Source Cloud Security: Paladin Cloud has raised $3.3 million in seed funding. Key investors include T-Mobile Ventures. Paladin’s software helps developers to detect, visualize and remediate risks in their cloud environments, the startup said.
11. Infrastructure Cyberattacks: The Port of Los Angeles experiences roughly 40 million cyberattacks per month, mostly from Europe and Russia including former Eastern Bloc nations, according to gCaptain. The Port has contacted the FBI for assistance, the report said.
B. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Black Hat USA (August 6-11, Las Vegas)
- Defcon 30 (August 11-14, Las Vegas)
- Gartner Identity and Access Management Summit 2022 (August 22-24, Las Vegas)
- Blue Team Con 2022 (August 27-28, Chicago)
- LogRhythm RhythmWorld 2022 (September 13-15, Denver, Colorado)
- Join Us: MSSP Alert Live (September 19-21, Washington, D.C.)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar