MSSP Mergers And Acquisitions List: 28 Managed Security Buyouts to Note
This blog offers an ongoing list of managed security services provider (MSSP) mergers and acquisitions that we’ve tracked.
At least five factors are driving the M&A activity, MSSP Alert believes.
- Talent: The cyber skills shortage is driving MSSPs to find talent through M&A.
- Threats: The growing, shifting threat landscape is inspiring M&A deals to close technology and expertise gaps.
- Speed to Market: Acquiring companies can often be a faster path into a new or evolving technology market or business region.
- Scale: Smaller MSSPs are merging to counter the scale of larger rivals.
- Growth: The traditional MSP market will experience sub-10 percent compound annual growth rates (CAGR) in the years ahead. The MSSP market, in stark contrast, is growing at an 18 percent CAGR.
Updates: This story was originally published May 7, 2019. It was most recently updated January 7, 2020.
MSSP Mergers, Acquisitions, Buyouts: The List
Among the M&A deals we’ve tracked:
- January 2020: Accenture acquires Symantec MSSP Cyber Security Services business from Broadcom.
- January 2020: Private equity firm Trinity Hunt Partners acquires Dataprise, a Top 200 MSSP for 2019.
- December 2019: CyberProof acquires Necsia Cybersecurity for managed detection and response (MDR) services.
- November 2019: IPKeys buys Top 200 MSSP N-Dimension and gains managed security for the electric grid and more.
- November 2019: CynergisTek acquires Backbone Technologies for healthcare and non-healthcare managed security services.
- August 2019: Protos Security acquired Security Resources (SRI), uniting two MSSPs. Private equity firm Southfield Capital acquired Protos in February.
- October 2019: BPM LLP, a California accounting and consulting firm and value-added reseller (VAR), acquires security, compliance and incident response services provider Adhere Inc..
- October 2019: Private equity firm acquires, merges 12 cybersecurity consulting firms. The result: BGH Capital launches CyberCX, a company that specializes in security assurance, incident response and digital forensics, managed security services and other cybersecurity services.
- September 2019: EY acquires ElevatedPrompt Solutions for MDR services.
- August 2019: Presidio, a midmarket IT solutions provider with a Top 100 MSSP business practice, is acquired by BC Partners for $2.1 billion.
- July 2019: Accounting firm EisnerAmper acquires CSAM Marketing, a managed IT services provider (MSP) with cybersecurity risk mitigation & remediation services.
- May 2019: Private equity firm Sunstone Partners acquires and merges three MSSPs. The merger — involving Sword & Shield, Terra Verde and TruShield — creates a new national cybersecurity service provider & consulting firm called Avertium.
- May 2019: Orange move to acquire SecureLink, setting the stage for a massive European MSSP business combination.
- April 11, 2019: Today’s Nuspire buyout of GBprotect.
- April 1, 2019: Finnish cybersecurity company Nixu acquired Ezenta, a Danish IT security consulting firm. The combined firm offers managed security services across Europe.
- March 2019: Deloitte, a Top 100 MSSP, acquired Converging Data Australia, a cybersecurity firm that partners with AttackIQ, Carbon Black, Phantom & Splunk.
- March 2019: NTT Security acquired WhiteHat Security. The deal unites a Top 100 MSSP & an application security provider for DevSecOps teams. Here are details from RSA Conference 2019.
- February 2019: Orange acquired SecureData — formerly the UK’s largest independent MSSP.
- December 2018: ConnectWise acquired Sienna Group, an MSSP that helps MSPs & technology solutions providers to drive down risk & boost recurring revenues.
- October 2018: Top 100 MSSP and PCI compliance expert ControlScan acquired Dunbar Cybersecurity for managed detection and response (MDR), SIEM and SOC capabilities.
- August 2018: ADT acquired Secure Designs Inc. (SDI), a well-known MSSP that manages SonicWall firewalls and other security equipment for small business customers.
- June 2018: Continuum acquired CARVIR, a Top 100 MSSP that offers managed security, SIEM (Security Information and Event Management) and EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response) services to MSPs in the SMB (small and midsize business) sector.
- May 2018: Midmarket IT solutions provider Presidio acquired MSSP and cybersecurity consulting firm Red Sky Solutions for $40.8 million.
- May 2018: Texas-based MSSP Critical Start acquired security orchestration technology firm Advanced Threat Analytics.
- April 2018: KPMG, a Top 100 MSSP, acquired Canadian cyber risk services & testing solutions firm Egyde to bolsters its cybersecurity offerings.
- April 2018: British MSSP & network security consultancy ITC Secure acquired SBD Advisors, a U.S. cybersecurity advisory firm.
- January 2018: Identity & access solutions firm The SCE Group acquired Cayden Security, an MSSP that has risk mitigation expertise.
- January 2018: British managed security services provider ITC Secure acquired the cybersecurity practice of business intelligence firm G3 & investment company Kinnevik AB.